Wednesday, January 7, 2009

EIC'S10Q'S w/Miko

Everything Is Chemical is very proud and pleased to announce 10Q's w/:



MIKO BIO
Miko is a Japanese female singer/ songwriter and multi-instrumentalist from the outskirts of Tokyo. Being influenced by various rock/alternative bands in 90's, she began making music around 2000 using an electric guitar and 8 track MTR. After she got a Macbook PC in 2005, she started recording using her voice and instruments around her daily life such as electric & acoustic guitars, piano, synthesizers and samplers. She does recording and mixing all by herself. Her first album "
Parade" was released by PLOP in 2008.


Hello. How are you?
Pretty good, thanks.

What are you currently listening to?
Eiko Ishibashi's new album (Japanese female artist).

How long have you been writing music?
I think it's about 7-8 years. but at first, those were more simple songs, with only guitars and vocals. It's only been a few years since I started recording using various instruments or electronics.

I used to live in Yokohama, I miss it. Do you ever visit the area by Yokohama International School?
Really? I've been living in Yokohama nearly 20 years, but never heard of that school... sorry! I hope you enjoyed yourself in Yokohama. My place is closer to Tokyo, but Yokohama is my hometown and I love it there.

Who are your main influences?
I can't exactly tell who are my influences....there are so many. But I think I should name some artists here. I've always loved guitar bands such as Sonic Youth, My Bloody Valentine, Galaxie 500, Palace, etc. I also love Lou Reed, Nico, Tara Jane O'Neil, Animal Collective, etc....but I think I was more influenced by Japanese artists. I love Cornelius, Tsujiko Noriko, Yuming, Rei Harakami, Spitz, and more.

Whats the music scene like in Tokyo?
Tokyo has many musicians doing good experimental music. But it's really an underground scene and just a few people pay attention. It's a shame.

Should we expect a US tour anytime soon?
Maybe not soon, but I really hope I can tour US and Europe in 2009.

Best tour story?
I did show in Japanese temple this summer. I sang in front of the Buddha statue! It was an amazing experience. I make music by myself, but last year I did tour with some supporting musicians. It was really fun to play with a band.

Whats next for you?
I'll keep writing songs and hope I can release a new album this year.
Are you living your dream?
Yes.
THANK YOU SO MUCH Miko!

Miko is currently hard at work on her follow up to "Parade". As well as planning a tour:)

No comments:

Post a Comment