Monday, December 22, 2008

REVIEW: Whipping Boy - Heartworm


4.25 out of 10
Oh whipping boy. You're so Irish. So damn....Ok. I'm gonna tell you right off the back, I don't hate this album, but I've owned it for almost two years and this is my third listen. Despite their horrible name, I ordered them off of Amazon because they got amazing reviews. Billy Corgan and Lou reed have both confessed love for this album. I think Lou went so far as to say "if this band doesn't become huge, we know nothing about music." Well, Lou I love you (I rhyme!) but I think your wrong on this one. Imagine Catherine Wheel, only much less shoegaze, and much more alternative rock. Sometimes, a little Cure bleeds into the guitar. Whipping boy has defiantly heard a U2 album. Not that they want to sound like them, I'm sure. Ireland has more to give the world than leprechauns, violence, and U2.

Most of the songs have great sound, but over all the singer overshadows everything. His speak/sing vocals are just distracting. If anything shines on this album, it'd be the production. It's stellar. Everything is very lush, and they full. They even mix down the singer on a few tracks. If you find it cheep like I did(I paid a quarter for it), you might pick it up, but don't rush to the store for this one.

Bottom Line: Ok 90's rock album, good guitar sound, but damn I hate the vocals.


Standout Tracks: Friction, Twinkle, Morning Rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment