Wednesday, December 24, 2008

REVIEW: Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden

9.5 out of 10

Talk Talk may be mostly remembered for their early synth-pop works. "It's my life" was a huge hit; No Doubt even did an okay cover of it. This album however, maybe twenty years old, but damn if it couldn't have come out this year. I picked this album for the first time about a month and a half ago, and I've seriously listened to it almost everyday since then. If I really like an album I'll maybe listen to it once a month. That should tell you how fucking great this is. The album is basically a months worth of jams sessions, recorded in the dark and taped together. It's got elements of jazz and post rock and it's fucking beautiful. The songs swoop in and out build and blow over. When they peak, it is heartbreaking. Mark Hollis sounds like he's just had everything taken away from him. "I believe in you" is the closest thing I could imagine for a single, and when it has the organ going is like a well placed kiss on the neck. Unlike anything in it's time, inspiring a whole genre of music, and still relevant today, it's simply a masterpiece.

Bottom Line: Damn it's awesome. A milestone in music.

Standout tracks: The songs bleed effortlessly into each other. "I Believe in You" is my favorite part though.

No comments:

Post a Comment