Sunday, December 7, 2008

REVIEW: Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene


10 out of 10

Find it here.

I’ve been doing some extensive research on music that can evoke mass effects of emotion and elevation on the mind, body, and possibly soul lately. I want to go on a journey to another dimension. I want to go to the next dimension powered by audio dynamic space fuel. I want to be transcended by the most amazing angelic note ever created. Music will be my co-pilot. Oxygene will be my bible. Jean Michel Jarre will be the creator of my playground. I’ve been looking forward to this flight. About a month ago I was looking up one of my favorite acts M83. While rummaging amongst waves of electronic history I stumbled upon my ticket, THE ticket, aboard a soon to be amazing outer body journey though space. I became curious immediately. Knowing Jean Michel Jarre was French placed a big smile on my face. You see, I have a soft spot for amazing French artists, which many of them are. Little did I know I was looking at one of the main innovators of the “Synthesizer Revolution” of the seventies, perhaps the “Godfather” of all amazing synthesizer musicians.

If you are not interested in outer space, transcending from your very own body, or electronics/technology then this album is not for you. However, I’m going to assume you are cool, and you do care about these amazing things.

Oxygene was inspired by a painting, the same one Jarre used on the actual cover of the album. Jean Michel Jarre wanted to display the emotions and art through synthesizers. With an arsenal of amazing vintage synthesizers he did that and more. I was at work when my ears got there first dose of this transcending journey through space bliss. Honestly this music may just inspire you to become and astronaut. Or to just take some amazing mind altering drugs that will lift you to another galaxy.

Is it cheesy, yes. But in a sense where you long for more. Not “playful cheesy”, cheesy in the sense that it was written in the 70’s, where Sci-Fi played a major influence on a lot of musicians at the time. Oxygene is one part Kraftwerk, one part Tangerine Dream, and one part intergalactic travel music. Jarre influenced both Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream, but it’s a great place to compare him to for the less unknowledgeable like I was. I’ve been obsessing over music for quite a while now. And I’ve held many amazing notes and beats within these ear canals, but I haven’t had a lot of outer body/other worldly emotion experiences with it. You know, the type where you can’t explain what the music just did to you, but you know it’s amazing and possibly why you think “maybe life isn‘t to bad“? I had that x 3 with this album.

You will fly in space on a journey through the most mind alteringly-beautiful undiscovered galaxies in our universe. This album is amazing. One of the best albums I’ve ever heard. I urge ALL people with any sense of taste in anything to listen to this album. It won’t take effort on your part to fall in love with Oxygene. To me, this should be the definition of space rock.

Standout Tracks: ALL OF THEM.

No comments:

Post a Comment